- John 13-17
- Unique material
- Unique relationships
- Unique identity
“The entire section is controlled by one purpose: Jesus’ preparation of his followers for the immediate future – that is, the trauma and loss resulting from his crucifixion and burial – and the time after his ascension.”Encountering John, Andreas Kostenberger
2. Love’s Legacy: Chapter 13
- Footwashing: 13.1-20
- Betrayal: 13.21-30
- New commandment: 13.31-38
- Greater love
- John 1-12: 12
- John 13-21: 45
- “The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God;” John 13.2-3
3. Greater Things: Chapter 14
- Preparing a place: 1-4
- Knowing the way: 5-7
- Greater intimacy of relationship : 8-11
- Greater works: 12-14
- Another divine helping presence: 15-31
- “What has stood out to you from tonight?”
- Read John 15 between now and Sunday
- Discuss what you’re learning and your questions with your spouse/friends.
- Ask God to reveal what aspect of Jesus he would like you to focus on through this series.
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
God bless, Malcolm
PS: If you would like some coaching in spiritual disciplines, look me up here.
PPS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John