Sermon on the Mount Series
“Kingdom Come”Sermon on the Mount Series: Fourteenth Lesson, Matthew 7.13-23
Two WaysLearning Objectives – motivation to:
- Stay on the right road
- Stay alert
- Stay sincere
- QUESTION: Highlights so far?
- Contrast with Matt 7.12. What that does not look like.
- An anti-postmodernism section par excellence!
1. Two Ways
- Choice: Jer. 21:8
- The gates: ’stene (“narrow,” v13) and tethlimmene (v14), “tribulation”, Matt 5:10-12, 44; 10:16-39; 11:11-12; 24:4-13.”
- Leads to life – the hearers have not entered yet. They must make a choice.
- Many / Few: Luke 13:22-30 / Rev 7:9
- Find it: Ties in with Matt 7.7-8.
- Warning – when you see a wide gate, reject it and search for a narrow one.
- Life: It’s Jesus! Jn 10.9. Find him and you find the gate – and life.
- QUESTION: How can we recognise when we are ‘going with the flow’?
2. Two Trees
- Didn’t take long: 2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 4:1–3; Revelation 2:20.
- Wolves: Acts 20.29-30.
- QUESTION: How can we recognise the wolves?
- Jesus: Jn 10.11-13.
- Not a doctrinal but an ethical test.
3. Two Claims
A. Claims to be a disciple
- Calling him “Lord’ – kyrios
- Know but refuse – Matt 19.16-30
- On their terms – Matt 8.18-22
- Key issue – “only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 7,21
B. Charismatic activity
- Jesus is welcoming of anyone on his ‘side’ (Mark 9.39-41), but anyone claiming a relationship with him must do so with respect. Acts 19.11-20!
- “What you really mean, Jesus is …………..”
- QUESTION: How could this warning apply to us?
- Two Fridays’ time sharing about what been helpful etc.
- Discuss with friends and bring something to share if you like in 2 weeks’ time
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: email@example.com.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm
PS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John