Father God is Powerful
“What comes into our mind when we think about God is the most important thing about us…. Were we able to extract from any man a complete answer to the question, “What comes into your mind when you think about God?” we might predict with certainty the spiritual future of that man.” A. W. Tozer
Matthew 6:9-13 – “your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” Father-God is powerful. He is King of Kings and cannot be thwarted.
Our Father God is Powerful
- Defining ‘powerful’. “When the Bible seeks to explain God’s holiness, it says that God is a “consuming fire”—a dangerous and terrible presence.” ‘The Possibility of Prayer’, John Starke
- “To the Israelites the glory of the LORD looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain.”…“For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.“…“..for our “God is a consuming fire.” Exodus 24:17; Deuteronomy 4:24; Hebrews 12:29
- Why does this matter? Isn’t he already powerful? Why pray for that?
- What does it do for us that his kingdom come and his will be done?
- Do we sense God’s powerful nature is a good thing or a bad thing – in the way it affects our relationship with Father God?
- Is there a way of understanding Father God’s power that can help us have a healthy, close personal relationship with him? ‘So terrifying and attractive, so immense and wonderful is God.’ ‘The Possibility of Prayer’, John Starke
Discussion about God
- If Father God is powerful, what does this mean?
- If Father God is powerful, how can we be more aware of this reality?
- If Father God is powerful, how can we enjoy his power?
Discussion about us as fathers
- What does it mean to be ‘powerful’ for our children?
- How can we help our children be more aware of our power?
- What can we do so that our children enjoy our power?
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://[www.malcolmcox.org](http://www.malcolmcox.org/).
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm