Class 12 – Series Summary
Do you ever wonder if your teaching is effective? Do you sometimes sense your preaching might not have the impact you had hoped? If so, you are like 99% of the speakers I know. The other 1% are deluded.
“At Iconium Paul and Barnabas went as usual into the Jewish synagogue. There they spoke so effectively that a great number of Jews and Greeks believed.” (Acts 14:1 NIV11)
Today, we review the series and draw some general conclusions.
Point of clarification
It is not healthy to be paranoid about our effectiveness, nor can we ever measure it empirically. Still, there is a place for considering whether we have set ourselves and our listeners up for success. We have been exploring how to be ‘effective’ — not just skilled or accurate — in these episodes.
Our material has been based on an article you can find here: https://www.douglasjacoby.com/the-ten-commandments-of-teaching-by-brian-fontaine/
We have explored the following ‘commandments’:
1st Commandment: Know thy content, backward and forward, for your students’ respect and attention begins here.
2nd Commandment: Proper Planning and Preparation Prevent Poor Performance.
3rd Commandment: Ohhh, Ahhh, Wow! Get and Hold.
4th Commandment: Respect the time.
5th Commandment: Great learning is more important than great teaching.
6th Commandment: Every Learner is Different so… Differentiate.
7th Commandment: They Won’t Care How Much You Know Until They Know How Much You Care.
8th Commandment: Enthusiasm is infectious!
9th Commandment: It doesn’t matter how well you taught it, it matters how well they learned it.
10th Commandment: Tests aren’t just for students.
Which of these resonated with you most?
Not so long ago, I attended a church service where the sermon was about a book the preacher had read (and no, it was not the Bible), and the communion talk did not mention the cross. The speakers were well-meaning, sincere, English was not their first language, and they served with a good heart. They were well-intentioned but not effective. We did not leave strengthened in faith. How we use the word of God matters.
Consider joining AIM UK&Ireland to develop your understanding of Scripture: https://aimukandireland.com/. Our next module is Homiletics (the preparation and delivery of lessons).
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, or practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, and leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm