- Mary’s Moment: 20.1-3, 11-18
- Luke 8.2-3; John 19.25
- “Do not hold on to me” – what does Jesus mean?
- He is going….
- To send the _________ (Jn 16.7, Acts 2).
- To prepare a ________ for them (Jn 14.1-3).
- To _________ for us (Rom 8.34).
- To a place from where he can offer us _________ (Heb 4.14-16).
2. Disciples Redirected: 20.2-9, 19-23, 24-29
- Sent by the Spirit
- If the Holy Spirit has not yet indwelled them (Act 1.4), what kind of reception of the Spirit is Jesus talking about in v22?
- Commission for a Mission
- In the Strength of the Spirit
- For the Saving of Souls
- Doubter Redirected
- What take do you have on how Jesus felt about Thomas’ doubts? Was he understanding? Indignant? Another feeling? (Jn 11.16)
- What lessons do we learn from Jesus about how to deal with people’s doubts (see also Chapter 21 and how Jesus helps Peter)?
3. Jesus’ Body: 20.19-23, 26
- Lazarus / Jesus
- Wrapping (Jn 11.44 / 20.5-7)
- Stone (Jn 11.41 / Matt 28.2)
- Life (1 Cor 15.42-44, 53-57; Heb 7.24; Rev 1.18)
- Us / Jesus
- Bear a cross (Lk 9.23)
- Die to self (Rom 6.6)
- Offer ourselves to death (Rom 8.36)
- Die to be fruitful (Jn 12.24)
- New life (Rom 6.3-10)
- New body (Phil 3.20-21)
- Who do you relate to most in these chapters? Mary, Peter, John, Thomas? Jesus himself?
- What has stood out to you from tonight?
- Read John 21 between now and Sunday
- Discuss what you’re learning and your questions with your spouse/friends.
- Ask God to reveal what aspect of Jesus he would like you to focus on through this series.
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: email@example.com.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
God bless, Malcolm
PS: If you would like some coaching in spiritual disciplines, look me up here.
PPS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John