Today we explore the topic of Father God as ‘rescuer’. What comes to your mind when you think of a rescuer?
These podcasts are my attempts to think through how to have a deeper walk with God. To enjoy more satisfying and meaningful times of quiet with him. As I explore topics on these recordings I hope they help you, and that you can reflect back what you are learning so that we can all grow and learn together.
The reason Father God as rescuer is on my mind is because I am reading my friend Andy Boakye’s book: “Death and Life”. His explanation of the connection between the Exodus (as well as the return from exile) and the new life offered by God through Jesus as detailed in Galatians has been inspiring me. I will preach on the following passage this Sunday 1st September 2019 for the Watford church of Christ.
I’ll share a few thoughts here today, and then I’d love your ideas too.
“Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead— and all the brothers and sisters with me. To the churches in Galatia: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”(Galatians 1:1–5 NIV11)
Father God is the one who’s will led to our rescue. I plan to explore this in discussion with the Watford church on Sunday. I will ask questions for discussion in small groups as well as asking people to write down their ideas.
Here are some of the preliminary questions – in draft form at the moment:
Complete the following sentences:
- “I have been rescued from…….in my past”
- “I have been rescued from…….in my present”
- “I have been rescued from…….in my future”
- “I have been rescued from…….in my eternity”
Discuss the following questions:
- How does it feel to be rescued?
- How does it feel to be the rescuer?
- What is possible because we’ve been rescued?
- From what specifically for yourself has God rescued you? How does this make you feel?
Make the following lists:
- List examples of God as rescuer in the Old Testament.
- List examples of God as rescuer in the New Testament.
- Describe an example from your own life when you’ve been rescued from something by another human being or organisation.
- Brainstorm a list of what a follower of Jesus is rescued from
- Brainstorm a list of what a follower of Jesus is rescued for
How else might you explore the topic of ‘rescue’ and Father God as ‘rescuer’?
Please drop me a line – firstname.lastname@example.org.
There’s more detail in the podcast on my thinking about this topic. Have a listen and leave your ideas in the comment box.
Why not pray about this topic today, or make it a theme for the week? Let me know what insight come your way.
The podcast finishes with the words of the song “Rescuer” by Rend Collective. The link to the lyrics is here.
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: email@example.com.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
God bless, Malcolm
PS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John