Sermon for the Watford church of Christ, 15 November 2020
- Hands of Jesus
- QUESTION: Name some of the things he touched
- “Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy.” (Matthew 8:3 NIV11)
- “Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith let it be done to you”;” (Matthew 9:29 NIV11)
- “Then he went up and touched the bier they were carrying him on, and the bearers stood still. He said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!”” (Luke 7:14 NIV11)
- “Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”” (John 20:27–28 NIV11)
Read Chapter 23 of the book: “Fearfully and wonderfully” – by Brand and Yancey
- What can we do with our hands to bring the healing of Christ to the world?
- “Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.” (1 Corinthians 12:27 NRSV) – not like his body, but we are his body
Christ has no body now, but yours.Prayer of Theresa of Aliva
No hands, no feet on earth, but yours.
Yours are the eyes through which Christ looks with compassion into the world.
Yours are the feet with which Christ walks to do good.
Yours are the hands with which Christ blesses the world.
- “Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last.” (Luke 23:46 NIV11)
- How does Jesus heal the world?
- He offers his hands to be nailed to the cross for our healing
- He sends our hands to heal others
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm