“Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace” (Ephesians 4:3 NIV11)
1. Pre-Jesus Phase 1, Oneness Enjoyed: Genesis 1.26; 2.25 Phase 2, Oneness Destroyed: Genesis 11 Phase 3, Oneness Misemployed
2. Jesus – Love, John 13.34-35 Oneness, John 17, John 14.17, 23
3. Early Church Acts 8.14, 11.2, 15.1-2ff
- References to unity/oneness Eph. 1:10; 2:14–16, 18; 3:6; 4:4-6, 13; 5:31
- References to the Spirit Eph. 1:13, 17; 2:18, 22; 3:5, 16; 4:3–4, 30; 5:18–19; 6:17–18
- References to one another / each other / together Eph. 2:21–22; 3:6; 4:2, 32; 5:19, 21
The unity of the Spirit
“until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.” (Ephesians 4:13 NIV11)
What do each of these points mean for you and your ‘group’? How will you adjust the way you live to maintain the unity of the Spirit?
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm
PS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John