A sermon for the Watford church of Christ
Intro – setting the scene
Last time – what happens when we walk with God
Chapter 17 – circumcision covenant; Sarah the mother; next year; upgraded promises
Change comes at God’s timing; He has good in mind for us; we have a part to play; need closer walk with God as life goes on
I could talk about…..
1. Generosity in action, Genesis 18:1-8
- Calf – royal generosity – feast
- Heb 13:2 – ‘strangers
2. Divine Tolerance, Genesis 18:9-15
- The impossible is laughable
- Matt 9:23-25 – Jesus laughed at because believes impossible
3. Pressure perverts priorities, Genesis 19:1-11
- Lot with Abraham; near Sodom; In Sodom – adopted
4. The dangers of doubting God, Genesis 19:12-22
- Having a doubt is not a problem. Expressing that doubt is not blasphemous. What is tragic is when doubt is used to to argue ourselves out of obedience.
- Jesus helps you – Jn 20:27
5. The consequences of being dominated by greed and fear, Genesis 19:30-38
- Fear – attempt control without God
I will talk about…
The benefits of walking in the presence of God
We understand the heart of God
1. He is the only legitimate judge
- Therefore we are at peace
2. He cares about everyone
- Therefore we pray even for those we don’t like
- Canaanites – not Israelites
- Therefore we ask boldly – like Canaanites woman
- Matt 15:22ff
Abraham a man of humility and boldness
- God does more than Abraham asks – rescues Lot, Gen 19:27-29
- Abe foreshadowing the heart of Jesus
- Told us to pray for our enemies, Matt 5:44
- Prayed for his, Luke 23:34
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com).
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://[www.malcolmcox.org](http://www.malcolmcox.org/).
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm