Sermon for the Watford church of Christ
- Solomon ‘speaking’
- David’s sacrifices
- Great cost – death of Uzzah, 2 Sam 6;
- sacrifices – 2 Sam 6 – 6 steps bull & calf,
- David’s purpose:
- God’s honour – Mighty one of Jacob (avir) (stone);
- God’s presence – worth the effort
- Ephrathah – Bethlehem, David, Messiah
- Jarr – ark housed when lost, like ‘lost in the woods’
- Desire for God’s presence and ability to worship him – footstool
- Solomon wants to ensure promises to David apply to him
- Recites conditions, broke them, consequences followed – David died 971 – 586 Zedekiah eyes gouged out, temple destroyed – 386 years
- But not all lost because God wants to be with his people, he chose us, he blesses us
- Promise can be trusted because Messiah coming
- Strength; Light; Defeat of enemies;Vindication of anointed one
- What does this mean for God’s people today?
1. God chooses, vv13-14
- “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” (1 Peter 2:9)
- Desires to dwell X2
- “Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.” (John 14:23)
- Resting place – satisfaction, contentment
- “Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.” (Romans 15:7)
- Enthroned – like moving in together
- YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN BY GOD!
2. God provides, vv15-16
- Abundant provisions, lack nothing, Ps 23
- Therefore the needy are needy no longer
- Note emphasis on the marginalised
- Clothed with salvation
- “So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptised into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” (Galatians 3:26–29)
- Therefore joyful singing
- Confidence – “I will…” X3
- YOU HAVE ACCESS TO EVERYTHING YOU NEED
- Therefore we sacrifice to love others
3. God confirms, vv 17-18
- Horn – symbol of strength and victory.
- Note – growing. Like Kingdom. Yeast?
- God has a vision for all of humankind and all of his creation – healing
- Enemies defeated – Death and sin: 1 Cor 15
- Messiah honoured – radiant crown
- YOU HAVE NO NEED TO FEAR
- Solomon wanted the promised blessings without the heart of David
- Became distracted by things of this world that do not last
- Jesus wanted us to experience the blessings of a relationship with God
- Made sacrifices (like David) so we could be brought near to God
- “But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.” (Ephesians 2:13)
- Kingdom growing: God’s vision expanding
- “You made them a little lower than the angels; you crowned them with glory and honour; …But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honour because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.” (Hebrews 2:7, 9)
- Jesus – crown of thorns, so we can have a crown
- “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” (James 1:12)
- “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:6–8)
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: email@example.com.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm
PS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John