“The Eagle’s Eye”: Class 7
John Chapters 17 & 18
“After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:” John 17.1
“Jesus’ prayerful waiting for God’s instructions freed Him from the tyranny of the urgent. It gave him a sense of direction, set a steady pace, and enabled him to do every task God assigned. And on the last night he could say, ‘I have finished the work you gave me to do.'”-From “Tyranny of the Urgent”, Hummel.
1. “Oneness”: John 17
- heis”: one and the same
- Love – Witness – Unity
- “Coming together is a beginning; Keeping together is progress; Working together is success.” Henry Ford
2. “Riskiness”: John 18
- Devotional Questions
- Why do you think the arrest party “drew back and fell to the ground”? (v6)
- The phrase, “I am he” is repeated three times (vv5, 6, 8). Can you think of a particular reason why John might have recorded these statements of Jesus?
- Is there any significance in the fact that Jesus identifies himself three times, and Peter denies he knows Jesus three times? (vv17, 25, 27)?
- Apart from the deeper meaning of this phrase, what does the fact that Jesus stepped forward to identify himself and protect his disciples tell you about his heart?
- Why do you think Peter attacked Malchus?
- And then, why does he become so quick to deny his association with Jesus (v17)?
- Peter’s three-fold refusal to be associated with Jesus is tragic, but all-too understandable. What do you think was going through his mind as the cock crowed? (v27)
- His is not the only betrayal in this chapter. The Jewish leaders are scrupulous in avoiding ceremonial uncleanness (v28) while at the same time becoming guilty of something far worse – scheming the death of an innocent man. What do you think causes so-called spiritual people to compromise what they say they believe in?
- Why would the crowd prefer Barabbas over Jesus?
- Pilate Interview
- Question / question (v34)
- Provocative statement (v36)
- Invitation to contemplation (v37)
- Conscience Questions
- In which situations do you feel intimidated?
- Where is it that people might not know you are a Christian?
- In front of which people do you feel heart thumping, mouth going dry, head spinning?
- What’s going through your mind at times like that?
- How might you react next time in a way that is more like Jesus?
- “What has stood out to you from tonight?”
- Read John 19 between now and Sunday
- Discuss what you’re learning and your questions with your spouse/friends.
- Ask God to reveal what aspect of Jesus he would like you to focus on through this series.
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: email@example.com.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
God bless, Malcolm
PS: If you would like some coaching in spiritual disciplines, look me up here.
PPS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John