“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.” (Matthew 5:5)
- QUESTION: What impact is the series having on your faith so far?
Psalm 37 and Context
- Beatitude position significant: Poor in spirit – mourn – meek – hunger & thirst for righteousness
- Paradoxical blessing. How do we resolve the paradox?
- Psalm 37:11 – recognised as messianic
- ‘praus: ‘gentle, humble, considerate, courteous’. 2 Cor 10:1, Gal 5:22, Col 3:12, 1 Pet 3:15f, (Isaiah 61.1, see also Luke 4.16-30).
- Humble and strong
- Matt 11:28f (translated ‘gentle’) & 2 Cor 10:1; See also Jn 18:11.
- QUESTION: How does Jesus display meekness? What examples can you think of?
What does meekness look like in the life of a follower of Jesus?
- Secure humility
- Christians have all things in Christ (2 Cor 6:10, 1 Cor 3:21-23).
- No self-pity, self-defence, no feeling sorry for self, no retaliation, 1 Pet 2.21-25, Rom 12:19.
- The meek are strong but do not feel the need to display that strength, Lk 14.11.
- The meek see themselves as unimportant, even if they are important (like Moses).
- Concern for others
- “Meekness is a controlled desire to see the other’s interests advance ahead of one’s own.” Gal 6:1.
- The meek relate well to people – they see themselves under God along with all others.
- The meek are “those who do not throw their weight about.” France, R. T. Matthew. NICNT.
- QUESTION: How can we develop meekness?
2. Inherit the Earth
- Isaiah 65-66
- Matt 19:28, 2 Pet 3:13, Rev 21:1.
- Meek people are always satisfied, 2 Cor 6:10, Phil 4:11, 1 Cor 3:21
- God can afford to exalt the meek without the danger of their getting proud. 1 Peter 5.5-6
- QUESTION: How will this promise affect the way you live this week?
Resources and Suggestions
- Douglas Jacoby’s podcast series on the Sermon on the Mount: https://www.douglasjacoby.com/the-sermon-on-the-mount-00-introduction/
- Meekness and Majesty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDGF3c8tsko
- My podcast: “Beatitudes series: Blessed are the meek” – Quiet Time Coaching: Episode 111 – https://www.malcolmcox.org/beatitudes-series-blessed-are-the-meek/
- Study the life of Moses looking for examples of meekness and what resulted from his meekness.
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm
PS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John