Tuesday Teaching Tips | Episode 260 | Malcolm Cox
The song: Jesus is gonna fix it – Matt Genese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAy0RR4D0YA
The book: Christian Worship and Technological Change: Susan J. White
* How is media influencing our congregational worship, teaching and preaching?
* Competing ‘authorities’ have multiplied in advertising and compete for our trust.
* What is ‘good’, ‘healthy’, ‘effective’?
* Broadcast services have led to greater predictability in worship. Standardisation is what viewers like – a formula that works for them and they know to expect and trust.
* Megachurches have much in common: ‘strong authoritarian leadership, a predictable (if not invariable) pattern…’ 117
* High technical standards, predictability, easy to follow, clear strong leadership.
* Nothing new, but now more pervasive than ever because of media saturation.
* Media has tried to convince us there is a ‘fix’ for every problem.
* Has this influenced how people, and leaders think about worship?
* Is our worship attempting to solve a problem, heal an ill, answer a question?
* Are we in danger of providing worship that fixes people quickly, easily and without effort?
* “For most participants, worship is judged by its ability to uplift, inspire, and console.” 118
* Instead of revealing God
* How might this have influenced our teaching and preaching?
* How many “How to…” lessons did Jesus teach?
* ““This, then, is how you should pray:” (Matthew 6:9 NIV11)
* But it is not a formula
* How many “How to…” lessons have you taught recently?
* ‘How to’ helps us to know what we are trying to achieve
* But must be about the development of Christian character
* And God as the focus
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://[www.malcolmcox.org](http://www.malcolmcox.org/).
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm