“Kingdom Come” Sermon on the Mount Series: Seventh Lesson
Sermon on the Mount Series: Seventh Lesson
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.” Matt 5:9
- QUESTION: What impact is the series having on your faith so far?
- Not appeasers
- Not peacekeepers
- QUESTION: “What is the difference between peacekeeping and peacemaking?”
1. Peacemaking in the Bible
- Sending his prophets, the‘covenant-enforcers’
- Bringing his people back, Zech 8.8, 10.10 (search “bring them back” and similar phrases)
- From enemies to friends: Eph 2.11-22, Col 1:20.
- Peter’s restoration: Matt 26.74, Luke 22.32, John 21.
- Corinth: Starts church (Acts 18); Sends a letter (lost, 1 Cor 5.9); Chloe writes to say all is not well (1 Cor 1.11; 7:1); Paul sends Timothy with a letter (1 Corinthians 4:17; 16:10); Paul visits (2 Corinthians 2:1; 12:14); Paul sends Titus with a letter (lost, 2 Corinthians 2:4, 12ff; 7:5-8); Paul sends another letter (2 Corinthians); On his way to Jerusalem Paul visits Corinth (Achaia) to collect money for poor Christians in Judaea (Rom 15.25-27).
- Philemon: Case study for personal study.
2. Peacemaking in life
[See the more extended notes in the additional handout for this verse]
- It’s costly
- Time: listening to people
- Energy: physical, emotional
- Spiritually: prayer
- It’s worth it
- God at work creating something beautiful
- Rewards of becoming more like Jesus
QUESTION: “What situations has God provided in which you could act as a peacemaker?” “Both for people to find peace with God, and for people to find peace with one another?”
How can you develop a peacemaking spirit? Reflect on the peace you have with God, Matthew 18.21-35. Pray the beatitudes.
QUESTION: How will this verse affect the way you live this week?
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about teaching the Bible? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send me your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like a copy of my free eBook on spiritual disciplines, “How God grows His people”, sign up at my website: http://www.malcolmcox.org.
Please pass the link on, subscribe, leave a review.
“Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” (Psalms 100:2 NIV11)
God bless, Malcolm
PS: You might also be interested in my book: “An elephant’s swimming pool”, a devotional look at the Gospel of John